Even though I'm a freak about protecting my skin with SPF, I'm not nearly as good at protecting my hair from the sun's harmful rays. I guess because hair can't get cancer (or on a more shallow note, wrinkles), it just doesn't seem as important. But every year, the first time I notice my hair getting drier or having more split ends from the rough summer elements, I instantly start to regret not treating it better. That's why this summer, I'm going to make sure I take care of my hair every way that I can. Baseball hats, deep conditioning treatments, avoiding chlorine... You name it, I'm doing it. And I'm starting with Kérastase's Soleil Collection.
This collection of products is "an exclusive range of haircare treatments tailored to protect and repair every hair type exposed to environmental aggressors." These aggressors include things like pollution, heat, humidity and the sun, so no matter where you are, you can benefit from these products. (And really, L.A. is pretty much the perfect storm of these aggressors with the smog and the heat and the sun and... Remind me why I live here again?) These products all come together to protect, repair, and enhance your hair with advanced technologies that will leave your strands softer and more manageable, and keep your color vibrant and radiant.
The line includes products designed to do three things - Protect, Repair and Enhance.
In the Protection category, you'll find:
- Micro-Voile Protecteur ($34) - This light mist protects hair from UV rays and enhances color's radiance. It can be used daily on dry hair to guard against humidity and frizz
- Gelée Aqua-Proof ($34) - This transparent light gel protects your hair before and after exposure to the sun, chlorine and salt water and is perfect to use if you're trying to achieve the wet-look finish.
- Créme UV Défense Active ($34) - This is a multi-protection cream for weakened and/or color-treated hair. It has a double UV protection that lets your hair resist the effects of exposure to chlorine and salt water and preserve your color's radiance. (I haven't tried this one yet, but it's already in my beach bag for the first time someone forces me to hit the sand. Yeah, I know I live in California, but I hate the beach. I always get sunburned and sand gets in my car and salt water makes my eyes burn... I was just not meant to be a beach bunny)
To Repair your hair, try:
- Bain Aprés-Soleil ($32) - This light, creamy shampoo will repair your hair fiber and keep your color shiny. It detangles as it cleans, leaving your hair with a long-lasting softness. (This is on my wish list - Kérastase shampoos are the BEST and I'm sure this one is no different - can't wait to try it)
- Créme Richesse ($44) - A conditioning treatment for dry to very dry hair which offers intense nourishment, restores softness and leaves hair incredibly silky.
- Masque UV Défense Active ($58) - A replenishing after-sun treatment for weakened and/or color-treated hair that reinforces the structure of the hair fiber and delivers long-lasting softness and shine.
And to Enhance your hair, use:
- Serum Aprés-Soleil ($34) - An ultra-shine, finishing treatment for all hair types that provides high shine and radiant color. This ant-frizz formula leaves hair silky and smooth.
If you're planning to hit the beach (or even just spend a lot of time outdoors) this summer, pick up some of these products to protect your 'do. You hair will thank you!
Photos courtesy of Kérastase